Red Wine Poached Pears (Instant Pot)
- 6 pears firm and pealed
- 1 bottle red wine a dry tarty, tannic red wine like Sangiovese or Barbera
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon or one teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 piece Ginger fresh
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- herbs for decoration, optional like mint or basil
- Peel the pears but leave the stems attached. Pour the bottle of wine in the pressure cooker.
- Add the bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, ginger and sugar. Mix well to dissolve. Add the pears into the Instant Pot.
- Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Press [Pressure Cook] and then use the [+] or [ - ] button to set 9 minutes of pressure cooking time .
- When time is up, open the cooker using Quick Pressure Release.
- Take out the pears carefully using tongs and picking up from their stems. Set the pears aside and put the pressure cooker on [Sauté], without the top, to reduce the cooking liquid to about half. Filter and then drizzle spiced wine syrup on pears, decorate with herbs and serve room temperature or chilled.
- We like the Winexpert Selection Sangiovese or the Cellar Craft Sterling Barbera for this.
Adapted from Instant Pot Recipes
Wines By Design https://www.winesbydesign.biz/